Ruby Console Update

Hi all, we have an update that fixes an error that some of you were seeing in the Ruby console. That’s available on the same link that you got the original download on.

If you’re seeing that error running this update should fix it.

More updates soon!

If you don’t have your download link please let me know and I can get it to you. (It’ll be in your activation email if you still have it.)

I had things working yesterday and even earlier today but Ruby console now fails with the new update. Slightly different error message.

RubyC

I’ll need to see your model to be sure, but it looks you selected some loose geometry or some other element that we don’t support. If you post your model I can dive in and figure it out for you.

I think it might be this:

It was just a simple square solid with a few square and round pockets in it. But I tried again by drawing something similar and it worked fine. I don’t think I did anything differently but will keep a watch on it.

I was just trying to get a feel for how things work handing off to Aspire. So far so good. I tried drawing 2 simple components and joining them into an object and then used the plugin to make the SVG. When I opened it up in Aspire the two components were laid out and ready to cut. The Fabber Gadget work well developing a tool path for each by just asking for the bit to use. I was ready for Preview in no time to see how the parts would look after they are cut. If I were going to my CNC machine instead of the SO I could easily modified the tool paths with ramps, tabs, ect but for the SO nothing more is needed. This is exactly the workflow I am looking for.

A couple of things I tried that didn’t work. I have several models in Fusion which I tried to import to Sketchup as SKPs. They looked good as multiple components in Sketchup and the plugin made SVGs but they turned out to be garbage. Fusion must export a low resolution STL, at least that is what the SVG looked like in Aspire. It did generate a couple of circular pockets but nothing else. So I see no way to handle Fusion models yet.

Also after importing to Aspire many times I like to make modifications to the drawing. I can send it out as an Aspire generated SVG but with none of the Fabber special coding. Many times for simple things I will do all the drawing in Aspire so having the Fabber gadget export a SVG developed in Aspire would be useful. Right now I find it just as easy to define all the cut paths on the tool but if Shaper adds more useful aids like depth of cut and tabs that will change.

I think you are very close to very useful product. Other than the Ruby console stuff, I found no bugs yet but I will keep looking.

1 Like

So glad it’s helping you out. I’m really glad you’re here too. There aren’t too many people that have both an Origin and a bigger CNC. Glad you get to see both workflows.

So let me ask you a question:

One of the things we’re going for is trying to keep all of the design in CAD, and out of CAM. It’s my belief that CAD is best at doing CAD, and CAM is best at CAM. The idea with this plugin is that stuff on the CAM side should be considered disposable.

If you draw an import something and make and realize you need to modify it, my thought is that you just delete the CAM file, go back to CAD, make your change and press export again. If you can get toolpaths in seconds there doesn’t seem to be much friction there.

This workflow not only let’s each piece of software do what they do best, but also lets you keep all of that manufacturing information in one CAD model, not spread between both a CAD and a CAM file…

So I guess the question for you @sehast is why do you modify stuff in Aspire?

The best example is when I see in the preview function that a pocket on the edge of part is not cut properly because the diameter of the bit was not properly accounted for so a rectangle needs to be enlarged just so it is cut cleanly. A number of other things are discovered when the cuts are simulated which is the reason why the Preview function is so valuable. I also may choose to change the layout of the parts to better utilize the stock which must be reflected in a new SVG. Many of these things are not integral to the CAD model and there is no reason to go back to the 3D CAD application.

I think Aspire is a very robust CAD application for design at the part or component level which is mostly done in 2D. Having it integrated with the CAM generation and preview of tool paths is very powerful. What Aspire is not good at is visualizing how multiple parts/components fit together as a model which is where Fusion and Sketchup come in. Many simple projects require nothing more than using the CAD in Aspire to develop the 2D drawing for the part and being able to visualize it in 3D using the preview function. Never having to leave Aspire is a huge boost in productivity for me and I have everything I need to reproduce the part in one file. Being able to generate both high fidelity SVGs for the SO in addition to the G-code for my CNC machine as outputs gives me everything I need to choose the best approach for cutting the part.

If Aspire had a high fidelity export feature (maybe STEP) for the 3D model generated by the profile function it would change my whole workflow for many projects. I would use Aspire to design the components and Fusion to verify that they all fit together. But there still would be times where I need the free form of an intuitive and easy to use 3D CAD package just to develop early concepts for a design and that is where Sketchup is hard to beat.

Enough rambling for today.

That’s really interesting, you’re not the first person I’ve heard say that they want to design in Aspire and then export to something 3D to verify fit. I know someone who does this regularly… They design in Aspire and then export to SketchUp to make it 3D… Seems a little backwards to me, but I totally get the reasoning.

So what are the chances you will develop and include a Shaper specific SVG export feature in your Aspire/Vcarve gadget at some point? That would be the ultimate in productivity for me.

You mean something that exports to Shaper FROM Vectric?

Yes, so I don’t have go back to Sketchup if I make changes or for simple parts completed totally in Aspire. Not an issue until Shaper implements more capability in the SVGs because the Vectric export works just fine for me now but it would be nice to know an upgrade like that is in the development roadmap.

thanks for shared nice info :blush: