New month new problem with plugin <solved>

As expected when I went to use the plug in today it said I needed to download a new one. Well fine but after the download and install I still get the same message and request that I do the download… so for me the process is broken.

Either the file is broken or not updated with a new expiration date sort of like sour milk on today’s project.

Ed

When did you download it? We had an update out that had a wrong date for about an hour, and then we pushed a fix. I’d try downloading it again and running the installer, you should be all set after you do that.

Grab the download here: https://forum.getfabber.com/t/current-release/197

Still not working. Just downloaded the file and installed. When I then start up sketch up and attempt to generate an output it says I need to get the new plug in still, no different then the other download.

Ed

Are you on a Mac or PC?

In either case is SketchUp completely closed when you run the installer?

Have you restarted your machine, and gone right to installer without opening SketchUp?

If that doesn’t work, try this:

Open up SketchUp, go to “Window>Extension Manager”

In there you’ll find a list of all installed extensions. Find Fabber. Click on it, click “Manage” and uninstall it.

Then, make sure that you have a fresh download, IE get it AGAIN from our site here. Make certain you’re opening that new, fresh copy. Run the installer (if you’re on Windows)

Let the installer fully complete. Then open SketchUp and try once more. If none of that works, PM me and I can setup a screen share with you.

My windows machine was off over night and this morning I downloaded a fresh copy of the plug in and installed. Sketch up hadn’t been run until after that and the problem was still there after that.

I went into sketchup and removed the plug in then did a reboot. Went and got yet another fresh copy of the plug in and installed it. Then ran sketch up and it was working. So the removal and then installing worked.

Last month everything worked well, not so much this month.

Are there other changes happening in these month updates or just the date changing? Is there any change control version changes being used that might allow us to know about changes?

Ed

It sounds like the installer was being prevented from overwriting the old file. This can happen if SketchUp is still open in some way. The way plugins work in SketchUp is that they are loaded with SU starts. You could actually delete a plugin, and as long as SketchUp is still open, the plugin will continue to run.

As far as other updates, we’ve been tweaking some behind the scenes stuff. Solving edge cases where geometry wasn’t being processed the right way (or efficiently). There are some cooler changes coming, for the immediate future we just needed to do some housekeeping to prepare to roll those out.

I had the same problem the first few times I tried to install it. When I uninstalled it from SketchUp first then installed it worked.

Todd

Good to know. I’m going to make the installer a priority for the next release. Thank you all for your feedback.

November is over and it was time to get the new months plugin. Rather then wonder I tried to use the install as saved to see if it would work this time. Good news is that it did. I don’t know if the plug in has been fixed or maybe it just a luck of the draw if it works or not. Last month wasn’t so good, this month great.

Ed

We did a little work to make re-installs go better. Glad it worked for you!

What are you making this month?

1 Like

im having trouble getting this to install on sketchup 2018. ive run the installer with sketchup closed. ive restarted the computer and ran the installer first before opening anything. it doesnt seem to want to pull into sketchup. it installs into vcarve fine. not really sure whats going on haha

So a couple of simple things you can check:

go to Window>Extension Manager in SketchUp and check to see if our plugin is there. If it is, see if our toolbar is underneath another toolbar.

If you can’t find it, go to View>Toolbars and see if it’s selected. If it’s not, select it and it should pop up somewhere.

If that doesn’t work message me here and we can setup a screen share this afternoon. I’m sure it’s something simple we can solve fast.

1 Like

its not showing up in either location. also i was wrong its sketchup 2019 not 18 not sure if that changes compatibility or anything.

Ahh, that might do it. Are you running on a PC or a Mac?

i was afraid of that. im on pc

Ok, this is a pretty simple solution: Just install Fabber using the MAC installer that’s in the download section.

(it’s just an RBZ file)

use these steps to install in 2019:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/installing-ruby-plugins-extensions

Let me know if that works for you (it should!)

that got the extension into sketchup. now im getting an error message " unable to parse the given SVG file. - could not find viewbox information. using the starter sketchup file from dropbox

Close, and re-open SketchUp and try again. If it happens again, save and post the exact file that was causing you the issue (even if it’s an untouched “Fabber Starter Kit” file)

Hi Eric,
I have encountered my first monthly expiry. I am on a Mac running SU 2019 with Fabber which has been running nicely for the last month. I came up against the update dialogue box when I tried to make an export of an SVG.

After reading this thread I first un-installed Fabber via extensions manager, quit SU, restarted the machine. downloaded the RBZ via Safari. Launched sketchup, installed new RBZ via extensions manager. I make an attempt to export an SVG and I am still being re-directed to the update page.
Any ideas?

I have tried everything in this thread, including extras like dumping the sketchup .plist files in library/preferences, but to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

You just missed the latest update. We just posted it. Try to download and install again, you should be all set now.

In the next week or so we’re going to have an entirely new update system rolling out that will be much better!